Pagans in Recovery
September 18, 2014, 05:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Share your hope, strength and experience with others in recovery, who like you, don't follow a monotheistic path.

Celebrate your recovery, be free to talk about the Gods of your understanding without fear of rejection or proslatization.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 1004 times)
lordgygg
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:27:30 AM »

Hi, this may be a bit too off topic, and if it is, I will find another forum to post this in that may be more suitable.  But here goes anyway.

My son, who is 6 has started asking sometimes questions about live, death etc.  My personal path and understanding is that when we die, we simply cease to be and our energy moves on(ie, body feeds worms, bugs, bacteria; fertilizor for plants, trees, grass etc.
My problem is that I don't want to push my system onto him but when he asks questions I just find it easier to say, 'you go to heaven which is a better place'.  Right now, that seems to be okay, and doesn't really rear up any difficult moral dilemas for me, but in the next couple of years as he develops further I am going to have to be more open about it, but am still concerned that I don't lead him to follow my beliefs.
What experience does do we have of this and does anybody have any links to good websites that may help answer my/his questions?

Blessed be
Peterwolfe
Old Timer

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:58:47 AM »

I know people who were raised with Pagan beliefs........with the understanding that not everyone follows this path. I believe HONESTY is kind of important.
Blessed Be,
Peterwolfe
Lyon
Administrator
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »

Hi, this may be a bit too off topic, and if it is, I will find another forum to post this in that may be more suitable.  But here goes anyway.

My son, who is 6 has started asking sometimes questions about live, death etc.  My personal path and understanding is that when we die, we simply cease to be and our energy moves on(ie, body feeds worms, bugs, bacteria; fertilizor for plants, trees, grass etc.
My problem is that I don't want to push my system onto him but when he asks questions I just find it easier to say, 'you go to heaven which is a better place'.  Right now, that seems to be okay, and doesn't really rear up any difficult moral dilemas for me, but in the next couple of years as he develops further I am going to have to be more open about it, but am still concerned that I don't lead him to follow my beliefs.
What experience does do we have of this and does anybody have any links to good websites that may help answer my/his questions?

Blessed be

This isn't really the best place to get answers to questions like this. I hope you can ask the question on forums (besides PiR) where specific spiritual beliefs are the focus.

That said, you tell your son what you believe. Inform him that there are many different beliefs and when he is old enough he will choose what works best for him. Simple. Straight forward and honest.

As alcoholics and addicts it is our tendency to over think and complicate everything. Looks to me like you may be falling into this pattern here, too. Wink
MoonFaerie
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »

How about the most honest answer you can give? Tell of the physical changes, but as far as what happens to the soul, say that you don't know and that nobody knows until they die, no matter what they claim to know or what they believe. That way there is no indoctrination of ANY kind when it comes to death.
Michelle.313
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 02:18:39 PM »

actually if you look into quantam physics ... specifically

http://www.cfpf.org.uk/articles/scientists/crookes/crookes.html

http://www.victorzammit.com/articles/oratoryafterlife.htm

it will show you that science has proved what you believe ... maybe that will make you feel better about teaching your son ... it's no diffferent than teaching other things we have researched ... hope this helps ...
haley
Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »

"As alcoholics and addicts it is our tendency to over think and complicate everything." (So true of me!)

Yup, don't overkill the information for a little kid. Remember the one who asked his mom what sex was? She had prepared herself, and gave him a lecture complete with drawings. He burst into tears--had just wanted to know if he was 'M' or 'F' on school forms!

Haley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: